A to Z

Home Inspections

843-442-9755

Infrared Certified
Professional Home Inspection in Charleston, Dorchester and Berkeley Counties of South Carolina
Home Page Home Buyers What's Inspected Home Sellers Thermal Imaging While Building
Mold/Radon Links Prices Contact Me

Mold is a microscopic organism found virtually everywhere indoors and outdoors.  Mold can be found on food, plants, and other organic material.  Mold can also be found on cardboard, paper, ceiling tile, sheetrock, carpet, carpet padding, wood, plaster and air conditioning ducts. The following are some sources of indoor moisture that may cause mold problems in your home or workplace:
• Flooding
• Leaky Roofs
• Humidifiers
• Damp Basements or Crawl Spaces
• Plumbing Leaks
• Steam from showers, baths, and cooking
• Clothes dryers vented indoors

Mold spores are easily detached and become airborne. When moldy materials become damaged or disturbed, spores (reproductive bodies similar to plant seeds) can be released into the air.

People at high risk for adverse reactions to mold exposure are:
• Infants
• Children
• Elderly
• Immune Compromised Individuals
• Pregnant Women
• Individuals with Existing Respiratory Conditions 

Mold can cause a wide range of health problems including:
• Wheezing
• Nasal & Sinus Congestion
• Watery & Red Eyes
• Nose & throat Irritation
• Skin Irritation
• Aches & Pains
• Fevers
• Asthma
• Emphysema 
                                                              
                                                                       Black Mold on Floor Joist


Black Mold or Stachybotrys Chartarum (atra) aka: Toxic Mold Stachybotrys Chartarum (atra) is a greenish-black toxic mold that colonizes particularly well in high cellulose material such as straw, hay, wet leaves, dry wall, carpet, wallpaper, fiber-board, ceiling tiles, thermal insulation, etc.  It does not grow on plastic, vinyl, concrete, or ceramic tiles.  It is not the green mold on bread or the black mold on the shower tiles.  There are about 15 species of Stachybotrys or Black Mold known throughout the world.  This toxic mold grows in areas where the relative humidity is above 55%.  Before drying Black Mold (aka: Stachybotrys) is wet and slimy to the touch.  Stachybotrys or Black Mold produces a mycotoxin that causes human mycotoxicosis.  This type of mold is thought to be a possible cause of the “Sick Building Syndrome”.

The following is a list of symptoms associated with exposure to Stachybotrys or Black Mold spores:
• Pulmonary hemosiderosis (bleeding in the lungs)
• Respiratory problems
• Nasal & sinus congestion
• Eye Problems
• Dry, hacking cough
• Sore throat
• Chronic fatigue
• Skin Irritations
• Central Nervous Systems Problems (constant headaches, memory problems, mood changes)
• Aches & pains
• Fever
• Diarrhea
• Immune system suppression

                                                       Outdoor (control) and Indoor samples being collected.
      
                                                                                 
Sample Mold Report

Learn more about Mold from the EPA's Mold website

I am a Certified Mold Inspector - ESA #1719
Certified and trained to Inspect for and collect suspected mold samples up to and including Post Remediation Clearance Inspections (required after a expensive remediation and remodeling efforts to remove mold)

Separate mold inspection pricing is found on the
Prices page

RADON in South Carolina


Why should I think about radon?

Any home can have a radon gas problem. Homes can trap radon inside. Over time, it builds up. The SC Radon Zones map shows areas in SC with the highest chance for radon. If radon is breathed in, it can change the cells in the lungs. These changes can increase the chances for getting lung cancer. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. What is radon? Radon is a gas. You cannot see, smell, or taste radon. It comes from naturally occurring uranium or radium. Radon gets into your home through cracks and holes in the foundation. Radon also enters your home in the water you use. It can be released into the air you breathe when water is used for showering and other household uses. Radon is generally not a problem in houses served by public water systems. It has been found in private well water, if the wells are in areas with rocks that contain uranium or radium.

How can I know if there is radon in my home?

You can test for radon. Testing is easy and set up should only take a few minutes of your time. Test kits can be purchased from most Home Improvement Stores, On-line Radon web pages, etc. They can also be obtained by contacting the SC Radon Hotline. Be sure to follow the instructions in the test kit.  Short-term test devices offer a quick and cheap way to test for radon. Short-term tests take 2-90 days (depending on the device used). Lab results usually take 2-4 weeks. The results only measure what the radon levels were during the test period. Long-term test devices stay in place for more than 90 days. The results from a long-term test give a better picture of actual radon exposure.

What do the radon test results mean?

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that any radon exposure carries some risk. The amount of radon in your home is measured in pico Curies per liter of air (pCi/L). The EPA recommends that there be no more than 4 pCi/L of radon in your home. This is referred to as the “action level.” The action level is the point where the cost of repairs is justified due to the risk from the radon. EPA Recommendations for concerned citizens Do a short-term test. If your results are less than 4 pCi/L, you may want to test again sometime in the future. If your living patterns change and you begin occupying a lower level of your home, you should retest on that level. If your results are above 4 pCi/L, do a follow-up short-term test. If the follow-up short-term results are between 4 and 10 pCi/L, a long-term test should be done. This will show your average radon level. If the average of the short-term tests is above 10 pCi/L, you need to look into ways to reduce the radon in your home. If you follow up both short-term tests with a long-term test and the results are still higher than 4 pCi/L, you need to look into ways to reduce the radon in your home.




As you can see from the map above there is Low Potential for the occurance of Radon in the Trident Area... Please be wary of those who may advise otherwise and offer to perform expensive Radon testing.